Sunday, July 19, 2015

Historicon 2015: Closing Thoughts & Other Gamess






I've returned from another Historicon exhausted but extremely satisfied _ this may have been one of the best 'con's I'ver ever been too.  I'm sure there's a little ego in there as I'm pretty stoked that all the hard work Mike and I put making terrain and painting mini's paid off in both our games winning awards.  I also realized that I like being a GM more than a player at a convention and will focus more effort on that that role by running games on every day.

I've just finished unpacking the troops and am please to report that all mini's made it home safely with the exception of one confederate rifle being broken but a quick dab of plastic glue and it was good as new.  I was shocked that the broken off piece was still on the unit stand.

I did play in the "By Fire a Sword" tournament of Saturday and got crushed coming in 14th out of 16 players but really enjoyed learning the system and getting a feel for the game.  I suspect you'll see a lot more of that game on the blog.  I also got to play some Armada and board games with the WWPD crowd which is always fun.  All-in-all, a great 'con and I'll be going back to HCON in July'16.  Another aspect of the convention that really stood out is the quality of the games seemed to be a lot higher than previous historicons.  I came away with a lot of great ideas on how to make my future games better (hopefully)!

In the next few days there will be some more detailed posts on both the ironclad and ACW battle game Mike and I ran but for now here are some pictures of games that caught my fancy...







Bolt action Pacific beach hopping
A huge "By Fire and Sword" game.  I really like the command control mechanics


A wonderful hill fort being assaulted by Romans in 15mm - really superb work



'gotta love the battering ram
A big Waterloo game

Double sided Island assault - side A
And side B

Ernie ar Architects of War ran a big Napoleonic game in the vendor hall which was just beautiful.



3 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Some top looking games Miles, that Hillfort looks fantastic, I'll have one of them on my wishlist!!

Curt said...

Lovely pics of the games Miles. I too prefer GMing games to playing them - my wife says it better suits my megalomania (the dear thing, she says such kind, kind things about me...).

jmilesr said...

I prefer to think of myself as a Hollywood Movie director when taking on the role of a GM. I realize there is a very fine line between "Director" and "Meglomaniac" but it's a distinction that is important to me.

ACTION!!!!!!!

:)